Thursday, December 12, 2013

David's Notes

Greetings,

The week the world stood still. It has been an emotional roller coaster the last few days listening to the umpteen speeches, sermons and prayers offered up in memory of Madiba. The greatest sermon for me was the Rabbi who likened Madiba to Joseph who was sent to prison unjustly, then rises to become the prime minister of Egypt and then on to forgive those who sent him to prison. The funniest anecdote for me was the Houghton neighbour who had him for tea and when telling him about their son who had left the country Madiba gets on their phone and tries to persuade him to come home. The most embarrassing for me was the behaviour of the crowds as foreign presidents gave their speeches or was it the interpreter for the deaf who was a complete "fake". The most surprising for me was how emotional I felt and how much a part of the country's sorrow I identified with. I would love to hear what this week has meant for you.

No comments: